Friday, January 29, 2010

Florence

Florence is most famous for hosting Michaelangelo's Statue of David

Unfortunately, the museum is closed on Sundays and Mondays, and we left on Tuesday before the museum opened. So I didn't get to see David, but I did get to see a replica of him that they have near the Florence clock tower. The famous painting Birth of Venus by Botticelli is also in Florence, but we didn't get to see that one for the same reason.


However, we did see the Ponte Vecchio and river Arno. Any female who has ever sung opera has sung "O Mio Babbino Caro," a love story where the female character begs her father to let her marry a man he does not approve of. After describing his many ideal qualities, she gives her father an ultimatum - If you don't let me have him, I'm going to go the the Ponte Vecchio (old bridge) and throw myself in the river Arno. When I was there I absolutely had to take a picture of me trying to throw myself in the river and mom holding me back.




We got to do tons of sightseeing of the piazza duomo and the beautiful countryside. We also did a ridiculous amount of souvineer shopping.

If you climb to the top of this tower you get to see incredible views of Florence. I didn't do the climb with mom and Kathy (though I did do it when I came back to Italy), but we still had a pretty awesome view from our hotel.

If you've seen any pictures or postcards of Florence, you've likely seen this main square.

This is what it looks like at night. Much prettier in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment