Thursday, July 29, 2010

Oscar's 1/2 Marathon in Ocean Shores

On July 10th, Oscar ran his 2nd 1/2 marathon in Ocean Shores, WA. Ocean Shores is a fairly popular local vacation destination and has pretty expensive hotels, so we decided to get a hotel in Aberdeen, a city about 30 minutes away.

When we got there, I saw a bride and her bridesmaids. They'd decided to run the race together rather than going to the bar or having a bachelorette party. Some said they were runners in High School, but others hadn't done any long distance running. Fortunately they were all in good shape.

I took a few pictures of him at the starting line before he was off and running. I was able to see him take off this time since there were a lot less people competing than at the Olympia marathon.

I took some pictures of the area and walked around a bit, but it was very gray, and I didn't get good pictures. I wasn't terribly impressed with the area. I don't understand why it's such a popular destination.

I took a nap in the car while Oscar ran since I didn't know how to get to the 1/2 way observation point, and I didn't want to risk not seeing him at the finish line again. I got out of the car to wait for him after he'd been running for about an hour and 45 minutes, and he showed up about 10 minutes later.

He's sprinting to the finish.

And I caught him in midair as he arrived at the finish line. He made it in 1 hour 57 minutes and 59 seconds - an improvement from his previous marathon of 2 hours 3 minutes and 57 seconds.

After he'd made it to the finish line, he couldn't stop moving. He didn't even notice the water and granola bars they had for the runners. We had to walk around the area for about 15 minutes before he was ready to get in the car and take off.

After the race, we went and played mini-golf. Oscar and I love mini-golf, especially if it's an outdoor course. We found a course in Portland a few years ago that had a beautiful view as we golfed. Since then, we've had a tradition of mini-golfing at as many different places as possible.

When we went to dinner on the night before the race, we went to a little Italian place called "Casa Mia." Oscar was looking to carb load for the race, so he got spaghetti instead of pizza since he didn't want all the fat from the cheese. However, it looked so good the night before that we knew we'd have to come back for it after the race. And it was YUMMY!

The only regret we have from this day is Oscar not being able to shower after the race. He smelled fine actually, but he got some nasty rashes from his heart rate monitor since he couldn't wash off the sweat. Since we'd stayed at a hotel 30 minutes away from Ocean Shores, and the race didn't finish until after 11:30am, we knew we wouldn't be able to make it back in time for him to shower and get out by 12:00pm checkout. At least we still had fun the rest of the day mini-golfing, eating pizza, and going to Mount Ranier.

No comments:

Post a Comment