Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chicago Museum of Science and Industry


While I was staying with my friend Kara in Chicago, she took me to the Museum of Science and Industry. She actually had an annual pass, which allows for a free guest when you come, so I actually got in free! It was really cool, and they were beginning to decorate for Christmas, which I always love.


The circus exhibits were fun.






I had to take this pic of all these Oscars! Luckily I have the best Oscar at home!


I thought I'd try out as an astronaut.


Here's the actual command module from Apollo 8.


And the rockets used during takeoff.


This is hard to see in this picture, but this is the actual U505 submarine that was taken by the US in 1944. It ultimately contributed to the allies' victory during World War II because it allowed them to prevent further submarine attacks by breaking secret codes found on board. This was HUGE since these attacks were causing the vast majority of the Allies' death toll between 1940 and 1944. Years after the sub was originally taken to Bermuda, it was brought up to Chicago through Louisiana along the Mississippi river and up to Lake Michigan. We took a tour inside of it, which was really cool. They didn't allow for pictures inside of it, though, but these two sites will show/tell you more about it http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-505.htm and http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/.


I had fun trying to make my shadow catch confetti.


This was a really awesome exhibit of Christmas trees. Here I am with the Italian tree.


There was a tree for almost every country in the world, all with ornaments and decorations that represented their cultures (even for countries that don't traditionally celebrate Christmas).




I liked how this one was pretty much just an advertisement for a Sports team!


There was a place where you could watch chicks hatching.




It was pretty cool to go into the train room and see the incredible miniatures of famous cities. This is the Chicago section.



And, of course, I had to take a pic at the Seattle section.


It was really fun to twirl this monstrous sand swirl. You can't tell from the pic, but it's about 50 times as large as me!


And I LOVED this LED dress! I want one!

1 comment:

  1. An Argyle wall! A canvas print such as this one of the Isle of Skye, painted by an American painter of the late 19th century, William Trost Richards, may take you right back to the wilds of the home country and go well with your Scottish wall. It can be ordered from WahooArt.com.

    ReplyDelete