Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hanging out in Washington DC


My first New York audition was on December 2nd, and I didn't have another audition until December 9th in Philadelphia. I wasn't really sure what to do with myself until then, and finding a place to stay for a week in New York or Philadelphia is far from cheap.


Then I remembered that when my mom and aunt Kathy went back to DC, they'd met up with my mom's cousin Patrick who lives in Woodbridge, VA. I was going to have to take a train to and from Philadelphia anyway, and when I looked at the train schedule for New York to DC, I found it really wasn't that much more money than I'd have to pay just to go to and from Philadelphia. I'd always wanted to go to DC and had no reason to stay in New York until my next audition, so I called up my mom's cousin's family and asked if I could stay with them for a few days.


They were gracious enough to let me come visit them, and their daughter Victoria was able to pick me up from the train station on her lunch break. She still had to finish her shift at work, so I took a tour of downtown DC while I waited for her to finish.


She dropped me off at the subway station, and my first stop took me right in front of the Washington monument. I wanted to go to the top, but the lines were long so I wandered down to the Lincoln Memorial instead.


I passed the World War II memorial on my way there.





There's something really awe inspiring about being at the Lincoln Memorial. He really was a great man!



Unfortunately I was starving and there's pretty much no food in the touristy area of DC. I walked around a long time before I found any sort of restaurant, but at least I saw some cool stuff.


Here's the national tree,


The Smithsonian Institution Castle,


And the Jefferson monument.









No comments:

Post a Comment