Sunday, June 5, 2011

Washington DC Temple and The Battle of Bull Run


Christy, my mom's cousin's wife (which I guess makes her my first cousin in law once removed!), was quite the historian. She drove me over to the site of the Battle of Manassas (sometimes known as the Battle of Bull Run), and told me all about it. These were some of the soldier's outfits and their weapons.



This is a statue of General "Stonewall" Jackson. He got his nickname from his efforts here in the first battle of Bull Run when his soldiers cried "There is Jackson standing like a stone wall!"



This is me with my cousin Victoria's son Landon. He was a bundle of energy and a lot of fun.



This rebuilt house belonged to an elderly lady, Mrs Judith Henry, who refused to be moved in spite of repeated warnings. The house was hit repeatedly and she ended up dying from her wounds.



This monument was built to honor the many who died in this bloody battle.



Here's Christy and Landon and me and Landon with Stonewall Jackson.


This chart shows how many more people were killed during the civil war compared to any other war the United States fought in. Each red man is 10,000 deaths. Civil war is absolutely devastating to a nation!


On a happier note, Christy was also kind enough to take me to see the Washington DC LDS temple. Wow! It's really beautiful! When you drive up to it from the freeway in the evening, it looms over like a beautiful, white castle. When it was first built, the government actually had to ask the temple workers to dim the lights since too many people were getting into car accidents from staring at it.


They also had the Visitor's Center decorated for Christmas, which I loved! I could walk through Christmas lights all day long.


My favorite were the purple and green Tulip lights.



But I still enjoyed all the rest they had displayed.



They even had a pretty large nativity scene like the one at Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah.



Oscar and I prefer to decorate with blue, silver, and white at Christmas time, which everyone thinks is weird, so I always appreciate it when I see it elsewhere.



Though I would have liked to stay outside and stare at the lights all evening long, it did get pretty cold and we wandered into the visitor's center. I even found an Italian sister missionary to talk to.


I loved what they'd done with the Christmas trees inside.



They were all decorated to represent different nationalities, like the ones I'd seen when I went to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.




I also adored the nativity set room. There were hundreds of nativity sets from all around the world that church members had brought in for display.


This one carved out of the egg shell was incredible! I can barely crack an egg properly let alone carve a nativity out of it.


It was all just so fascinating to see how so many different nations represent the nativity story.




Look at this glass set!



I really enjoyed this Native American nativity.





And this Guatemalan set was adorable. I love their clothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment