Saturday, August 20, 2011

Lake Wenatchee


Leavenworth is about 25 miles west of the city of Wenatchee. However, Lake Wenatchee is actually about 20 miles west of Leavenworth. I'd always assumed Lake Wenatchee and the city of Wenatchee would be close, concluding that the lake must be named after the nearest city. But now that I know they're so distant, I'd guess they're both named after the long Wenatchee river which flows through each of them.


We first went to Lake Wenatchee to take a short hike to White River Falls.


There was too much snow and pothole-filled roads to get to the trailhead, but fortunately there's a decent view from White River Falls Campground.


The hike would have taken us to its base where the water was forcefully churning.


But I didn't feel like we'd missed out on anything by not doing the hike. The view we had was still pretty good.


We tried finding a good spot to take a picture of the lake, but every view we found was still blocked by foliage. The picture at the top of this post was the best we got.


On a return trip I entered the park and was able to take this picture from just in front of the freezing lake.


And on my most recent trip, I found this beautiful overlook of the entire lake. I'd actually been searching for a small waterfall (which ended up being completely dry), but I saw a sign going 4 miles up to an overlook, and I'm so glad I found it. This was the prettiest of all the sights I'd seen in Lake Wenatchee.

No comments:

Post a Comment