Thursday, October 23, 2014

Taking mom and Kathy to Whidbey Island

When mom and Kathy drove up to visit this past September, I hoped there'd be a nice enough day to take them up to Whidbey island. We got lucky! Here was our first stop at Cap Sante Lookout. Just put these two panoramas together in your brain to get a taste of the entire breathtaking view.

Ty had fallen asleep on the drive up and was still asleep when we arrived, so we rolled the windows down in the car and didn't stray too far out onto the rocks. There was a great view of Mt Baker behind us.

Next I took them up to Mt Erie. Ty had woken up, but it was too dangerous to take him out on the rocks with us, so we just took turns staying in the car with him while the others looked around.

We then walked along Deception Pass bridge, which never disappoints. There were lots of fishermen out that day.



People drive across the bridge incredibly fast, so I didn't want to let Ty walk on his own, and you have to go up and down steep stairs in order to cross from one side to another, so a stroller wouldn't have worked either. I decided to try out the backpack setting on the old baby carrier. It worked well, but he's super heavy! I don't think I could handle a whole hike carrying him that way. I was exhausted just from walking the bridge and climbing those stairs.
Last I took them down to the beach at Ebey's Landing and then back home via the Clinton-Mukilteo ferry. Amy and I had tried finding this place in April and inadvertently ended up at nearby Fort Casey State Park. Fort Casey has a bit more to see, but it was much easier to get to the waterfront here. Mom and Ty had fun playing in the sand. It was a perfect day for a day trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment