Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Toddler Ty: June is Bustin' Out All Over Part I - Granny and Grampa Hunt's visit

We had a fun visit from Oscar's parents this past June. They decided to drop by for a few days since they were already driving north to spend their 35th anniversary on the Oregon coast. Ty had been having a hard time adjusting to his new toddler bed, so Granny made him a pillow and blanket to help it seem a bit more appealing to him.

We set up our spare car seat in Oscar's parents car, and he LOVED riding in it. Martha always sat back with him and gave him snacks as they drove. He got so used to being with them that he tried climbing into their car as they were leaving and even chased them down the street crying as they drove away. It was equal parts adorable and heartbreaking. Martha called us in tears after about 10 minutes to make sure he was okay.

Their first activity was going strawberry picking at a local farm. The strawberries were extra small and early due to less rain this year, but they were also extra sweet.

I opted out of this activity since I was 6 months pregnant and it required constant bending over.

I'd gone to the gym and later met up with them at a nursery in Snohomish. Oscar wanted to get some hostas to plant in our yard. He was successful, but unfortunately the extra heat and sun from this record breaking summer killed most of them off.

That evening we went out for a yummy Mexican dinner. Ty thoroughly enjoyed his hot dog wrapped in a deep fried tortilla. He also discovered how much he likes ketchup. He was happy just to eat regular tortillas dipped in ketchup.

Oscar also had fun with the ketchup.
The restaurant was close to Silverlake park, so we dropped by to let Ty see the ducks and play on the playground.

He thorougly enjoyed playing at the park with Grandpa and even voluntarily gave a hug to a total stranger who needed one. I've been loving his extra affection lately!

The next day we took a trip down to the temple. Since going Ty loves pointing out temples or just things he thinks are temples, like chapels, steeped houses, and big construction cranes. He often requests watching temple slideshows on youtube.

Martha and Marcus watched Ty while Oscar and I went in to do some ordinance work, then came in later themselves. We got some cute family pics while we were all there. The temple workers even let us take Ty down to the temple cafeteria for lunch.

We tried putting Ty in the middle of this stone family with a baby sister, but it was just too traumatic.
We attempted to get a pic of Ty by the tree, but he was not having it. Maybe because it was well past lunchtime by then.
After the temple Ty got a nice long nap. Martha and Marcus came over after he woke up while we were dealing with getting our water heater fixed. It had broken on us that morning. We'd been warned at our home inspection that we would need a new water heater in a year or two, and it'd been slightly more than two years by then, so we knew it was coming. Unfortunately we didn't know about all the mandatory updates we had to install, so it cost us well more than we were originally planning on.

Later that evening we went to Picnic Point beach in Edmonds and Red Lobster in Lynnwood. Ty liked playing in the sand and seeing the crabs and fishies in the shallow water. In the panorama below, Ty's playing, Martha and I are chatting, and Oscar's on the phone finding out total costs and paying for our new water heater installation.
It was a short but sweet trip and we're looking forward to seeing them again when baby girl arrives.

1 comment:

  1. Stacy this is an adorable blog, and it looks like all of you had such a great time, especially with his gradm and grandpa Hunt
    I loved the pics and all the fun time spent at the park and out having dinner. When you said he tried running after his grandma and grandpa Hunt it made me cry. He is sooooooooooooooooooooooo precious