Monday, November 21, 2016

October 2016: Part I - Hanging at Home


In early October my toothless girl finally cut her first teeth and started climbing up the stairs. She'd been wanting to do it for awhile, but would always try sitting up after the first step and would inadvertently fall back down the step. I have to make sure to keep my carpets cleaner these days. That is in fact a piece of carpet she was trying to eat. It resembles the A shaped puffs she likes.

Allison took down an entire banana at Fred Meyer one morning! Kroger lets you get a free piece of fruit for your kids to snack on while you shop, but Allison was only willing to eat her food smoothly pureed for months. I'd tried giving it to her once previously in tiny, mashed up pieces, but she flat out refused to touch them, and I ended up giving the banana to Tyler. This time she started off only eating it in pieces, but after a few bites she went straight for it in the peel and ate every bite.

Cute girl in overalls!
We have a plastic grocery bag hanging from the changing table to collect the dirty diapers. Shortly after Allison finally started feeding herself, she pulled a small piece of plastic off the bag and tried to eat it.

Here's Tyler excited to try on his Thomas the train Halloween costume (a hand-me-down from my nephew). He also thought he'd pack himself up in my new carry on so he could come on the cruise with us.

Tyler likes the chow mein noodles I put in my Asian salad. He often asks for some "chow mein pretzels."
Cute guy falling asleep with daddy

At nighttime I sing Tyler the "La la lu" lullaby from the Disney movie "Lady and the Tramp." It goes "oh my little star sweeper I'll sweep the stardust for you." One night he corrected it to "oh my little twinkle twinkle little star sweeper I'll sweep the paper and yucky food for you."

Mom bought two of these tights for Allison, but she didn't wear tights during the warm months they would have fit her best, so I didn't even put them on her until early October. I decided to give the other pair to my friend Emma's baby since I didn't see Allison going through two pairs before she outgrew them. They just happened to wear them to church on the same day. Allison enjoyed sucking on Kaylee's crochet Yoda and playing with Ruby's frilly dress.

Bouncing around and playing with brother!
Climbing in the dishwasher...I just love watching these two smiling and giggling at each other through the cat hole. Allison loves peeking at people through the hole. Her sweet little laugh is so cute!
I do love how much he loves her. The only problem is he never wants to let her go.

Allison immediately found her favorite place after we returned from our big October trip (many more posts to come about that) - Tyler's room sans Tyler. They play in there together, too, but he has the tendency to take toys away from her. She gets extra excited when she has the room and all its toys to herself.

By the time we got back, Allison had lost her liking for milk, cow or human. She was forcefully weaned by our leaving on our trip for over a week, but in a way she also weaned herself. I tried to nurse her once the morning after we returned since she was clearly very thirsty and it was going to take some time and effort for us to get her some food. She bit me three times and even when she was nursing she seemed displeased and underwhelmed with it. Later at home I tried giving her thawed breastmilk in a sippy cup, but she hates it, and she doesn't care for cow milk either. She prefers water, but her favorite drink is grape juice. After having that she never wanted to drink anything else (so I rarely give it to her).

I registered for this cold weather baby animal outfit for Allison's baby shower, and someone purchased it for us (I don't know who since it arrived by mail and didn't say who'd bought it). I know I registered for a 0-6 month outfit, but it was enormous. It never fit her at any point during her first year, but now it fits her perfectly. I figured it could be her Halloween costume this year. The thing is that it definitely seems meant for a baby since it has footies and the hands turn over into mittens the way many other 0-6 month outfits do, but no child under 6 months that I've ever known would have been large enough to fit in this! It looked adorable on her, but she had a hard time moving around in it, which made her upset.
She couldn't get enough of this dangly tree. It was like a crib mobile to her.

 Cute clapping girl! 
We brought Allison's portable high chair to the ward Halloween/trunk or treat, which makes things so much easier since she's super wiggly these days. Trying to feed her on your lap is just awful. The chair had a bunch of cheerios that had gotten under the fabric, and they fell out into the trunk as we took the chair out of the car. When Allison and I went back to the car for the trunk or treat, I let her sit up next to me and play with some toys in the trunk while I handed out candy. She saw the cheerios and, naturally, tried to eat them. Unfortunately for her I'd folded over the mittens on her hands since it was so cold out, which meant she couldn't grab the cheerios, and she started crying over it. It was heartbreakingly hilarious! I folded up one mitten since I felt bad taunting her with the delicious cheerios she couldn't reach. I also gave her a bit of Kit Kat and Reese's, which she thoroughly enjoyed.

 Loving on kitty on the changing table.
This is what Allie does while daddy's reading to Tyler before bedtime.

Tyler bit his apple this way and told me he'd made a scary apple. He also loves walking around in daddy's shoes.
 Halloween at Oscar's work with a sleepy girl.
She looked very snug and cozy once I got her home

And she woke up happy and ready to play.

We had to go to a lot of doors and walk a fair distance (for Tyler) for trick or that night. Even by only ringing the bells of houses with Halloween decorations and/or porch and home lights on bright, we still had a lot of people who weren't home or didn't have candy. However, the ones who did were thrilled to see Tyler, and he was absolutely adorable. He came away with a huge haul too since most people wanted to give him 3-5 pieces. That's at least the benefit of trick or treating in an area that doesn't get a lot of trick-or-treaters. In places like the mall where they get a huge crowd, the lines are long and slow and they only give you one tiny piece of candy per store.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet daughter I loved this wonderful blog. The grandchildren are so darn cute. They are growing so fast and can't get enough of these blogs Kiss then each day and say it is from grandma Merrilene

    ReplyDelete